Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Monday, October 17, 2005

It's a stubborn one...

My child that is. He/she refused to give us any insight into its gender. Everything else looked good I was told. Saw little hands and feet and face and all its body parts except the one I was so anxiuos to see! LOL

The meeting with the perinatologist afterwards went well. She was happy with my blood pressure and my diabetes control and told me that since my A1C level was so good and based on this ultrasound that my risks of the child developing abnormally or whatever are that of the general population.

My quad screen was in and there was one number that was slightly elevated, my HCG level, which increased my chance of Down's syndrome to that of a 33 year old rather than a 31 year old...1/430 I think the number was. The likelihood of Trisomy 18 was miniscule which was definitely reassuring because she had explained to me last time that children with this abnormality often don't live past the age of 1.

She had redrawn a thyroid test the last time I was in and the results were still lower than they would like. My number was 0.8 and she said they like to see it around 1 or higher and that there had been some studies that showed that babies with a mother less than 1 have lower intelligence. She prescribed a thryoid medication.

My aunt was very excited to come along and didn't seem nearly as disappointed as I was that I couldn't find out the sex. When she had her kids, apparently they didn't have ultrasounds so she found it quite fascinating. She wants to come to my next ultrasound in four weeks where they will do a fetal echocardiagram or something or other...something to look at the heart in great detail but the perinatologist said that things looked good and as I said above given my good A1C level they really don't expect a malformation/deformity or what have you.

Hopefully baby will cooperate next month!

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

OH Katrina! I am so very glad that things are well... Sorry to hear that the wee one wouldn't give you a peek... maybe it wasn't God's timing..??..

I will be praying about the thyroid level for you! I am also glad to hear that you are happy with your OB. I know how difficult it is to find one you are content with expecially if it is a man. I also prefer women but I have had one man that I liked quite well.

A quick update.... The adoption is going well and we are still going to have a big party for Elise on the 22nd.. We are excited and as the day get's closer I find one more thing that needs to be done! I still have to get the garage cleaned up and my bedroom!

Hope you have a good night take care and God Bless you!

Love,
Gidgit

October 17, 2005 8:39 PM  
Blogger Calliope said...

hmmmm...I'm thinking you've got a shy show-girl in there. Who knows - a couple more minutes of observation & she would be dancing!
I was so happy that your Aunt went with you & has offfered to be an u/s side kick. Having somebody with you that is just as giddy & excited must be great.
woo hoo!!!

October 18, 2005 3:49 PM  
Blogger Sasha@Pw said...

Hi - congrats on your pregnancy. I just found your blog by random searching. That's so funny you can't tell the sex...I wonder how stubborn he/she will be when they get older! :)

October 18, 2005 4:09 PM  
Blogger Deb2You2 said...

Looks like your little one took some lessons from Max on keeping the gender hidden. LOL. Glad to here s/he is looking healthy. You are so lucky you get another one next month. I had to wait until 34 weeks (if you don't count the time I was admitted to the hospital for low fluid. :). It was so nice your aunt could be with you. Deb

October 19, 2005 11:00 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

You are halfway there today! Congratulations on making it halfway through this journey to motherhood. :)

October 28, 2005 3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home