Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Looking ahead

Last weekend, I found a list of doulas in my area and emailed them all to get some information from them. Throughout the week, three have replied to me (of 4 I think). I liked the first one that responded because she said she is a childbirth educator at the hospital I will deliver in. The second one seemed good too, with a little more indepth answers and an offer to send me an email with her answers to all the suggested questions on the DONA website. The third one, I am not so sure about. She mentioned some great things like different ways to support during labour, and she is a certified Happiest Baby instructor as well as certified (I think) Lactation person whatever the name is...but I got a bit turned off that she talked over and over again about not taking the place of your partner/labour coach, when for me, that is something I need. Finally, she also mentioned that she felt comfortable at Evergreen Hospital and had attended births there before...only I have no idea where this hospital is, it is NOT the one I told her in my email I would be delivering at. So, I need to mull these women over in my head, talk to them on the phone sometime likely, and make a decision. All three have openings in March.

I also started looking into home day cares last week. I finally got around to asking about the lady that other women at school use who only takes teacher's kids, but she doesn't have space because a current parent is expecting another baby. She said she would call around for me. One lady finally called me last Friday and I went to her place to pick up a list of five names she thought I could try. This woman actually would have a space in September but isn't sure she wants to do infants anymore...

So, last Saturday, I called the first lady on the list. She wasn't home and I left a message but she never called back.

Finally, yesterday was a non-student day so once I felt I was getting caught up at school, I called another lady. She thought she might have space and said she would call back that night. She did call last night and she will have space in September for an infant, and she isn't located that far from the school I work at (maybe about 5 minutes or so) and is actually very near the elementary school I will eventually send my child to. She seems nice enough and I told her I would like to come by sometime, and she told me it would be best to come after day care was over because I would have a lot of questions. I was kind of put off by this, because everything I have read has said to visit a place while the kids are there to see the interactions and stuff....Plus, she expects me to pay her in full over the summers, and I was hoping to at least find someone who would accept a lower payment for the summer...I mean, my child won't be in care at all for a full two months, it seems ridiculous to have to pay full price...So, I will continue looking but also go visit this woman in November (since she wants me to come on a weekday after 6, this is just not at all convenient for me and definitely not happening during this crazy Homecoming madness...)

Speaking of Homecoming, I survived another week of 4-6 poster painting supervisions. This next week is the last week of preparations for homecoming and I don't have to supervise until Friday. Then spend 3-8 (or longer) at the school next Saturday hanging all the posters on the wall, and Homecoming week is the Monday-Friday with various committments, one of which is from 6-8:30...yuck. I can, however, see light at the end of the tunnel.

Finally, only two more days until my ultrasound...come on baby, you have to cooperate! :)

3 Comments:

Blogger carrie said...

Sounds like you're getting things in motion.

About the lady who doesn't want you to come until after the children leave -- that seems a bit strange, but I can see her point, that she wants to answer your questions but not neglect the children. One thing you might suggest is dropping in to "observe" and then sticking around after the children leave to talk. That way you get the full benefit of the visit. If she still says that she doesn't want you to come while there are kids there, I'd be suspicious that there's something she's hiding. Our daycare never minded parents dropping in unannounced for any reason. Good luck with your search. I know it's tough to leave your baby with someone else, especially if it's someone you might not be entirely *sure* about.

Hope baby cooperates for the ultrasound!

October 15, 2005 12:52 PM  
Blogger Deb2You2 said...

Hi Katrina - Can't wait to get your u/s resultes, but probably not as much as you. :) I would recommend actually meeting the doula's in person before you decide, unless you are completely put off before hand. It really helps to see if you have a connection since this person is going to see you in a pretty intimate situation. One thing that was also important in my doula decision was her willingness to come to my house and take me to the hospital if needed. I didn't end up needed that, but having it there made me feel more secure. Also, on the home day care lady, you could always do as she suggests for the first visit and if you like her and the environement after that stop by to observe before you make a final decision. Just a thought. Hope you are well and having a good weekend. When is homecoming? This weekend and it will now be behind you??? Debbie

October 16, 2005 12:17 PM  
Blogger carolinagirl79 said...

home day care can be wonderful but take it from an experienced mom and teacher--if they don't have a backup--in fact several--run for your life. otherwise if YOU don't have a backup you'll be stuck with missing work not because your child is sick but because THE DAYCARE IS SHUT DOWN. It can get ugly.

just my experience but i was quite unhappy with home day care. I found a wonderful church daycare that never closes!

October 23, 2005 2:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home