Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Monday, September 26, 2005

Insulin averted

I was once again able to escape the insulin, but not forever.

Saw the perinatologist today and she decided that because my numbers were more often good than bad, we would wait until they were more often bad than good to add insulin. She did, however, tell me what I had already assumed, and that is that I would definitely have to use insulin at some point during my pregnancy.

At one point she asked something about my OB and I told her that I had switched OBs and was quite reassured when she told me that new OB was very good.

Apparently, I had a blood test for my thyroid a couple weeks ago, and it was low, so she ordered up a repeat as well as I got my quad screen done. Unfortunately, I won't have results until I go back in to for my big ultrasound which is in 3 weeks...I almost asked if I could do it at my HMO so I could get results online, but it sounded like if there were anything really concerning that the genetic counselor calls and offers an amnio...not a phone call I hope to receive.

She didn't check my blood pressure (much to my surprise) but the nurse weighed me since it was apparently needed for one of my blood tests. I mentioned that I was a bit concerned that I seem to continue to lose weight each visit instead of gain weight. She mentioned that could be due to a thyroid problem, but she wasn't too worried. Don't get me wrong, I am always thrilled to lose weight, I just thought at this point I was supposed to be gaining 1/2 pound a week...

In all, I like the perinatologist (breath of fresh air compared to my OB problems) and it was overall a good visit.

On an absolutely unrelated note, the latest baffling search that brought someone to my site? "swimsuit deck plop" WTF??

2 Comments:

Blogger carrie said...

Glad to hear that you don't have to use insulin yet.

About the weight loss...if they suspect thyroid issues that's a possible cause. As long as baby is okay and you're eating well, I wouldn't worry too much.

With Enzo I gained so little weight that my OB requested a 3rd ultrasound at 36 weeks to see how big he was. I actually left the hospital weighing about 5 kg less than when I got pregnant. And this 2nd time, I made it through the first trimester with a weight gain of 1 kg.

Good luck with everything!

September 27, 2005 7:00 AM  
Blogger Care said...

I'm glad things are going well, and sounds like the peri is working out well. Also nice to have validation that your new OB is good. I lost weight my first pg - went back about 5 lbs or so before finally starting to gain partway into the second trimester. Believe me, baby is getting all the nutrients she needs from you even if you are losing a little weight. ~CarolynG

September 28, 2005 5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home