Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Monday, August 29, 2005

Perinatologist appointment

I am back from my perinatologist appointment. I hadn't expected it to take this long and was dying of hunger on my home...my blood sugar was 82! Good I suppose, but I don't feel too well below 90..

Anyway, so I got to the 4th floor and was so lost...I sure hope that all Maternity patients take a tour before they come to deliver! LOL. There were no signs to get to admitting but eventually I must have looked so pathetic that someone came up and asked me if I was lost. I found admitting and then the nurses station and all was well.

I went in for my ultrasound. This was my first abdominal ultrasound and they hadn't told me to drink a lot of water beforehand or anything, so I had assumed it would have been an internal. But, it seemed to work out OK for the sonographer. I couldn't make out very much, it wasn't near as easy to see the baby for me, but he was able to do what he needed to do. The baby was right on target measuring at 11w3d which is exactly what I am, so I was happy. The heart rate was 167 which also seemed good. He was happy and I went back to the waiting room for the perinatologist.

I waited quite a long time for that appointment, about 30 minutes or so, but eventually she came and got me. We went over my blood workup for clotting disorders and she agreed that she thinks my clotting incident 10 years ago was just a freak thing brought on by circumstance. No need for Heparin, yeah!

We talked about the switch in my diabetes meds and I asked her about the switch to glyburide that my OB wants to do on Friday. She disagreed and said that the "standard" protocol at the specialty maternal diabetes clinic is to use a combo of Metformin and insulin. I say "standard" because it is not at all standard, but really rather experimental. What she explained, though, to ME made sense. She said the Metformin helps the insulin resistance so that I can accept and use properly the insulin. The glyburide on the other hand makes you produce more insulin, but doesn't address the issue of my insulin resistance. We decided I would go back to testing 6 times a day, fax her the numbers on Thursday afternoon and she would consult with the head doctor of the maternal diabetes clinic and call me OB with their recommendation in time for my appointment on Friday.

My own take, from what I have read, is that insulin is definitely going to be the best way to go. However, she said they like to admit you (to the hospital) for a couple days while you learn to adjust your insulin...she did mention she would look into the possibility of doing that on a weekend...

As for the blood pressure, it was high today at 132/76 which was just not good. It has her concerned about my pressure and wants to watch it with my OB and possibly change medications or increase my dosage (but I am already on a rather high dosage).

I should expect to see this doctor at least monthly if we are able to monitor the diabetes by fax instead of going into the clinic every two weeks and then every week in the last trimester. I was able to set my next three appointments, all at 3 pm which was wonderful! So I now have the date of the big all important ultrasound...confirmation of gender should happen (unless baby doesn't cooperate) on October 17th. That date can't get here fast enough!

ETA: I am sorry to disappoint you all, but I did not get an ultrasound picture this time :( I assume it is because it was so hard to see anything that way.

6 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I think it sounds like you have things quite under control there. You seem to be in good hands. I had a perinatologist with both of my pregnancies and the first experience was scary but the second time around I felt much more relaxed. I, too, was on HBP medication during my pregnancies. They used Aldomet because they say that is the best to use during pregnancy. It's an old drug but it is tried and true. I wish you the best of luck with everything!

August 29, 2005 4:22 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Thanks Lukossmom! I am also on Aldomet though the perinatologist said it was not her favourite, so I suspect she might change it if my pressure stays high. You are exactly right, it is a bit scary to have to be seen by a perinatologist, but I am hoping it is all just to be cautious!:)

August 29, 2005 5:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Still keeping you in my prayers Katrina my dear! I was glad to hear that your appointment went well even if it was a bit scarry!
Looking forward to October my self as I would love to know how good the acu-gen thing is... My little sister is expecting her 4th and I have told her about it.

Anyway... thought i'd tell you that our Elise is home and doing well. The meds they have her on are helping.
God Bless you Kat!

August 29, 2005 8:28 PM  
Blogger JamDaddy said...

Just as a side note with the insulin thing. Please make sure a few people around (work and home)you know what to do if your blood sugar jumps way up for some reason. I have had this happen in my office with a pregnant woman and she became disoriented and the people around her did not know about her condition or what to do. Luckily I did and was able to help. This also happened in my wifes office with a diabetic. Best to be safe since you will be in a state of flux.

August 30, 2005 10:55 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Glad to hear that it doesn't sound like the clotting thing is going to be an issue. I am sure you will handle the diabetes thing, but please take note of what JimDaddy said because that can be a problem.

Hope all your back to school stuff is going swimmingly. Mine is crazed as usual but that's what I expected.

August 31, 2005 10:03 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Thanks everyone. And yes, there are people who know I am diabetic. I am not worried about my blood sugar jumping up high enough to effect me as I have never had that happen. What I worry about are lows. I have always, my entire life, had to be careful about low blood sugar. I have to eat on schedule.

September 02, 2005 3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home