Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Live-in help?

So, I always assumed my parents would come up (or down..depending on where they are..in AZ or Canada) for a couple weeks, maybe even a month around the birth.

Tonight, I was chatting with a friend of mine who lives in my hometown. Since my mom retired this year after many, many years of teaching, she has been distributing some of her teaching supplies to my cousin and my friend who are also both teachers. Apparently, my mom called her over this week to pick up some more things, and my mom (who is always quite a chatterbox), told her that she was thinking she would stay with me until school got out and babysit...

Now, that isn't that much of a problem, and in fact, it would be a great blessing to not have to wake up a very very young baby to get him/her ready at 5:30am...but she hasn't said a thing to me...

Just today I was talking to someone at school and she was asking what I was planning to do about child care (she actually uses the woman I would love to get in with). I told her that I really hadn't decided yet, but it occured to me that I really do need to start looking and likely reserving a spot.

So, do I ask my mom about this? Do I just not make child care arrangements for May-June and assume she will be here?

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I guess if it were me I would say something like this.

"Mooommyyy, is there any chance that you would be interested in staying with me a bit after the baby is born? I thought It would be a fun way for us to bond with her/him and give you a chance to show me how it's really done."

Now remember this is just something I would use. I know my mother is all for "circling the wagons". I use this term because it is something I read in an adoption book. It is supposed to be something that most families do naturally and well let me tell you, If I EVER give birth I KNOW I would have an over abundance of people to "watch" the baby.
I am sure at some point your mother would bring it up and I know you are a little anxious because this is all so real now.

I will be praying for your dicision. I'm sure it is a bumfuzzler... I know weird word... I so need a vacation!

Well Take care and keep me posteD!!!!

September 21, 2005 9:20 PM  
Blogger SINGLEMOM said...

I WENT INTO SHOCK WHEN I FOUND OUT HOW MUCH DAYCARE WAS (PAYNG $180/WK RIGHT NOW). AND I FOUND THATS ITS BEST TO VISIT AS MANY DAYCARES AS POSSIBLE BEFORE DECIDING WHICH IS BEST FOR YOUR LITTLE ONE. THEY ARE NOT ALL THE SAME.
YOU MUST FIND OUT HOW LONG ANYONE IS WILLING TO HELP WITH YOUR CHILD, BECAUSE YOU NEED TO START SAVING FOR THE DEPOSIT FOR THE DAYCARE ALSO.
BEING WHERE I AM, I'D SAY TO START LOOKING NOW, BECAUSE I WAS RUSHED AT ONE POINT AND WAS CRYING WITH THE THOUGHT THAT I'D HAVE TO LEAVE MY SON IN A CERTAIN DAYCARE BECAUSE IT WAS THE ONLY ONE WITH ROOM. LUCKILY I FOUND ONE THAT BOTH OF US LOVED AT THE LAST MINUTE.
I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK, AND WILL HELP W/ ADVICE WHERE I CAN.

September 22, 2005 7:31 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

I have 2 thoughts about this post. If my mother offered to come stay with me for a bit to help with the baby, I'd say yes. But if she intended on staying for more than a couple of days, I think I would go crazy.

The other thing -- childcare. Oh.My.God. If things there are like they are here, start looking now. Enzo is still on a waiting list for our first choice daycare, and has been since late 2001.

September 22, 2005 9:23 AM  
Blogger Monica said...

Katrina... I would just start talking to your mom about what plans you're making and that you're looking at childcare centers and what not - and see how she responds to that. I would check out how long the waiting lists are for childcare centers around there as well because you might still need to get on a list anyway... and perhaps you could even ease in to the whole childcare thing if your mom is around to fill in holes. It would be wonderful if your mom could come out to be with you guys once life gets crazy (but completely wonderful crazy).

September 22, 2005 9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home