Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Resolved

Yes, all of the problems with the HMO and the referral have thankfully been resolved.

On Friday, the OB nurse got a hold of my PCP (primary care physician's nurse) and together they got me urgent referrals for the same services there at my HMO. So, on Monday, I have the appointment with the nurse will show me how to do insulin, and on Wednedays, I have the appointment with the dietician.

Since I really needed to see the dietician earlier rather than later (because I was supposed to try and see if we could fix things with diet before THursday), the nurse I spoke with on Friday (for almost an hour on the phone...she was so nice) gave me the basics. Basically, I have been put on a gestational diabetes diet. It sucks. It has me eating double what I would eat for breakfast on a normal day: 2 breads, 2 fats, 2 meats, 1 milk. Then when we get to lunch, it gives me less than what I would usually eat, or at least in a totally different variety so that I haven't quite figured out what to eat exactly. I ALWAYS have a sandwich, but I only get one bread at lunch...Supper is more and less of what I would usually eat. More variety, a gazillion times less carbs (1 bread exchange!!!!!!! that means one piece of bread, or 1/2 cup of rice or 1/2 cup of noodles). I also have to have three snacks a day. Not an issue so much as trying to figure out what exactly to eat for those snacks. Morning snack, for example, is to be one bread and one meat, usually, I would have just had a piece of fruit...so this is very different. I suppose this is why I will see the dietician...but I foresee a lot of cooking, and preparing, in my future.

The first week of school is over. As usual, my class sizes are changing daily, but I think they range now from 25-31. Hard to say what my kids are like right now...they are always good these first few weeks. I did, however, give out two detentions on Friday, but that was just for constant chatter. I have two second year classes this year which is nice because I know most of the kids already from last year. Unfortunately, that also means I have to courses to plan for and while I have taught second year before, this is the first time I have taught second year since we revamped our program and actually use the second year book for the second year kids (what a novel idea, huh?).

I still have not told administration that I am pregnant, but think I might do that at my pre-observation conference which is next week. It's not that they need to know right now, or that I am anywhere near showing (still wearing my same clothes, and actually lost a pound last week, I think!), but slowly there are teachers who know (a couple more may know since I was so upset about the whole health care thing at lunch and was telling one colleague and blurted out "not acceptable, you're pregnant"...not sure who all heard that LOL) and I really don't want them to hear it from someone else first. Besides, then I won't have to worry about what I say or where. :)

This next week is a busy one: Diabetic nurse Monday immediately after school, Wednesday dietician (had to reschedule my toe surgery as this was the only appointment with the dietician), and Thursday appointment with the OB also immediately after school. Then, I may really be off my rocker, as I said that yes I would go to leadership retreat on Sunday-Monday seeing as I am the class advisor. This could prove to be very interesting if indeed I begin insulin on Thursday....LOL, and regardless, it will mean I have no control over what (or when) I eat for two whole days.

Whew..that was a long update. I really need to pay better attention to the blog these days...I will try. :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Well I am so very glad the HMO got you taken care of. I have been praying for you and I know you will get the hang of doing all that cooking and preparing your lunches and such. Look at it this way. With you making and taking your lunches you are saving money, you know you are getting the food you're supposed to have and you don't have to worry about messing it all up.
I will keep you in my prayers and keep my blog updated so you can see all our drama! :) Well have a good week at school and take care! I'll say an extra prayer for you on appointmen days!

September 11, 2005 7:43 PM  
Blogger Elowyn said...

Glad you're getting things sorted out! As far as meal ideas, I love string cheese & hard-boiled eggs as protein sources (at least the egg should be a "meat" exchange - not sure about the cheese).

Good luck, sweetie. Glad school's going ok.

September 11, 2005 9:42 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

Glad to hear things are working out for you. I was worried for a bit there.

I'm sure you'll get the diet thing sorted out...the dietician should be a great help in suggestions of what to eat when.

Keep us posted!

September 12, 2005 11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home