Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The time has come...

Unfortunately, the time as come much quicker than I had thought. In fact, I had some high hopes that with my body responding well to the glyburide that the time for the dreaded needles would never come. No such luck.

I had been concerned about my lunch blood sugars for a couple weeks and even called the doctor last week knowing I had an appointment one week later. They have been low before lunch (like in the 60s and 70s when they should be 80-100) and very high after lunch, like in the 165-195 range! So, at my appointment today where the doctor thought my blood pressure was good at 133/78 (I was concerned but he wasn't), the OB decided it was time for some fast acting insulin with lunch. This is the worst meal of the day to do this as it means carting needles, syringes and insulin to school Monday-Friday and remembering to bring all these same things home on the weekend. Plus, just the logistics of where do I do this? It involves exposing at least a very tiny area of my belly and there is a class in my room during lunch...There is nowhere really to keep everything in the faculty room, so this is yet to be determined. And, unfortunately, it was not the pen nor the other easy method of giving insulin, but rather the old needle, syringe and bottle or insulin...

Sigh. I will survive, and baby had a good heartbeat of 148bpm today and I gained one pound in the past month. That is good that I gained, and great that it was only one pound. :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am sorry to hear you have to go ahead with the insulin. I know that it was something you were hoping to avoid.

However I know that you are a strong woman and will get though this. I have been keeping you in my prayers.

Keep us all posted on that little one! Try to have a good remainder of the week.

Gidgit

November 09, 2005 7:39 PM  
Blogger JamDaddy said...

I would think that your workplace should be able to accomodate your insulin and needles in the staff area. Have you discussed the alternative? At the very least they could provide a small lockbox bolted in a cabinet. The cost is less than the stories they may suffer if a kid sees you and runs home with stories to Mom and Dad. The maintenance staff could install it. Good luck on getting it under control.

November 09, 2005 7:53 PM  
Blogger Elowyn said...

I left you a note on the net54 board about the logistics, but wanted to say that this really sucks & I'm sorry. Glad the HB was good, and the weight gain sounds perfect. Only another week or two until the echo, right?

Hugs.

November 10, 2005 11:49 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I can't believe you are more than halfway there!!! YAY :) I hope you are feeling well. Don't worry about the needles...seriously...my aunt developed gestational diabetes when she had my cousin John and everything turned out just fine :)

November 12, 2005 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home