Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Siblings?

Growing up, I HATED being an only child (or lonely child as I called it). I swore up and down that I would have two or more children or none at all, there was no way I was going to put my child through that.

But then, I also envisioned a husband, and a lot of what I hated as an only child will probably be quite different in a single mom family...Still, I love children and continue to hope for more than one.

I have been putting off buying extra vials of my donor for some unknown reason. I wasn't sure how many to buy. Do I buy 6 vials assuming/hoping I can get pregnant again within 6 tries as I did this last time (yes, it was only the 5th IUI though so technically I only used 5 vials)? Do I buy 12 in case I want two more children? Do I buy none and just choose another donor?

When do I start trying for #2? I thought I wanted to have my children fairly close in age so that they could play together and have something in common...but on the other hand, can I really afford two children in child care?

So many questions and I just don't know the answers. However, today I finally called the bank and discovered that the 80 vials they had of my donor this summer has dwindled to 36, and on a whim I purchased 6 vials to put in storage. I hope that was the right answer...

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Brendan's donor was sold out almost as soon as I conceived so I had resolved myself to the fact that any siblings would either be from another donor or adopted. Then last year, I was contacted by CCB about 6 vials that were released from a storage account. I bought them and put them into storage for 3 years. I'm ironically at a point now where I have no desire to be pregnant again and am getting ready to pursue adoption probably within the next year. I don't think it really matters if kids are related genetically, they'll be siblings because they're raised together. The only reason I even bought the other vials was I knew that it was really my only chance to be able to get any from the same donor and I knew if I did one day want to TTC and had passed them up, I'd probably kick myself only because I'm so besotted with Brendan, why not use the same donor again, lol.

FWIW, with spacing between kids, I was always sure I wanted to have 3.5-4 years between kids. Considering Brendan will be 3.5 next months, clearly that went out the window. Now I'm aiming for more like 5 years between them, or rather Brendan being 5 before I bring home another child. I don't think either he or I were ready earlier.

November 22, 2005 6:03 PM  
Blogger donor mom to be said...

Hi Katrina,

My name is Katrina too(!) and I just found your blog care of your post on NW Andrology. I just wanted to let you know that, coincidentally (with the name and all!), I am also blogging my sperm donor journey ... even though it has only just started (my first insem cycle was this week.) Whether or not this particular cycle is successful though, my blog will hopefully be around for a long time yet! :-)

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know because I enjoy reading other people's similar experiences, and yours is the first blog I've come across going down the single parent-via-donor-route too.

All the best!

November 22, 2005 7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home