Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Sunday, May 29, 2005

A visitor!

It happens so rarely that it is very exciting. :) I had a visitor yesterday. Shawna was a housemate of mine one year in Victoria and someone I had lost touch with for quite a while. But, I was talking with a mutual friend of ours the other day and she gave me info about Shawna, we emailed, and decided she would come down for the day (a child-free day for her, something which she was very excited about!)

She got here around 11ish. We visited for a good while out on the deck and she looked at my wasp problem (more on that another day...) She wasn't nearly as scared of them as I was..LOL. We went out for lunch and then made our way into Seattle.

We went off to the Pike place market and I was amazed that she lived out here on the Canadian west coast for so long, and had never heard of the market nor the flying fish! LOL. We had a good time checking out all the flowers and crafts and, of course, the flying fish.

Then, we headed off to the Folk festival. We were parched from the heat and stopped and picked up slushes on our way...I haven't had a slush in probably like 5 years or more...LOL. I got a little discouraged as we stopped at 7-11 because the parking lots we were seeing said that event parking was 20 dollars!!!! But, we found a parking lot that was only 10, parked, and headed in. It was so much fun! There was a lot of African music which made me happy and eventually we made our way to the "rhythm workshop" tent and I was very sad that i didn't have a drum. But, no problem, we followed along drumming on our knees. :) I am definitely thinking I want to take djembe lessons...it was a lot of fun. :)

By about 7, I had had enough fun in the hot sun for me (I burn easily and the sun just makes me incredibly tired), and we headed back home. We had a quick dinner (nothing fancy...I had thought I might BBQ, but the wasps have thwarted that plan) and then played a variety of games. I love games! :) We played some awale (West African game), boggle (my absolutely favouritest game), and scrabble. And around 11 pm, she headed back up to Canada.

It was a great day! Now, I have to get ready to head off to church. This afternoon I am going back to the festival with another friend, and we are eating dinner there...I can't wait for my gyro!:)

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Excuse me if I sound ignorant... You are originally from Canada right? I know you said your parents live up there and then you made some refresences to West Africa. I have a friend in North Africa and a friend here in Oklahoma from Kenya, then I know some Missionaries that are usually in South Africa, so I was wondering if you are just interested in Africian culture or if maybe you are from Africa.
Any way ... We got moved into our new home and I said a prayer for you last night because you were on my mind. Hope you get good news soon!

May 29, 2005 4:44 PM  
Blogger Deb2You2 said...

Katrina - Sounds like a great time!! I'm glad your friend was able to come down and spend so much time. That festivle sounds fun! I'd say I wish I were there, but...I'ld be lying. I'm perfectly content to be a home body this weekend. I'm sure it helped the 2ww go a bit faster, huh? Take care, Deb

May 29, 2005 4:49 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Gidgit - LOL yes, it can be confusing. I was born in the US, moved to Canada when I was 2, grew up and went to school there, went to Abidjan, Ivory Coast (in West Africa) to work for 6 months, lived in Canada some more and then moved here. I really only know West Africa, but I do enjoy most African music. As for food, I am not too fond of northeastern African food (like Ethiopian), but love the West African foods. :)

Deb- it absolutely has helped pass some time in the 2ww. This is the first cycle that I haven't peed on any sticks yet;) LOL. I may even be able to hold off until 10dpo which is Thursday. :) I went back to the festival today with a different friend...we were there for like 7 hours...I am so beat, but i had a great time!

May 29, 2005 9:47 PM  
Blogger Tin Foiled said...

Djembé! Djembé! Djembé!

I'm having so much fun with my lessons. After every lesson, I can't wait until the next -- even though my hands have been literally blue with bruises (I'm getting used to it, though).

It's very groovy, and playing the drums is a good way to connect to people. Our group is very social. The expert players are excellent and very helpful to the beginners -- I know you'd get a big kick out if it! I hope you can find the same thing over there.

Got my fingers crossed for you!

May 30, 2005 1:22 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Thanks Tin Foiled. Yes, I have found a couple places that offer drumming lessons (some do just djembe some do a combo of conga and djembe..and well, you may recall i was fascinated with the congas before i even knew anything about djembes;) Of course, all these places are in Seattle, which is part of a deterrent (sp??)but I guess you are making the long trip out to Versailles every week, so I should be able to do this LOL. Also, as you may recall, I am just horrible about doing things on my own...especially something where there are a lot of people..LOL, aww, but I just may do something this summer. :)

May 30, 2005 8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home