Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Friday, December 31, 2004

Ordered!

So, yesterday I called the NW Cryobank to see if they had received all my paperwork and they had. Then, I called SRM (the fertility clinic) to coordinate the sperm shipment but I got a machine and she didn't call back until this morning.

I called back to NW Cryo this morning, and tried to order my first, second, third and fourth choices and they were either sold out or in quarantine. I hung up and did a frantic search again with only the short profiles to guide me. I made a list of about 4-5 that looked acceptable from their short profiles, and realized I already had the profile of one of them (I had put it aside because they didn't have a reported pregnancy). I called back and tried to order my new #1, and bingo! it was in. Then as she started totalling up my order she tells me that they are IUI vials. Now, I will be doing IUI but my doctor washes them anyway, so it's better go with ICI. Plus, once my doctor washes the sperm, the guarantee is voided. So, I go back and have her look at one other guy, and he has two vials of ICI and I do what is likely the strangest order she has ever taken...I order the two of the ICI guy (for whom I have a profile already...but not reported pregnancy) and one of the IUI guy (for whom I have no profile, but he has reported pregnancies). So, now I am going to need to remember all this for if/when I get pregnant or I won't know which one was the donor!

LOL!

What an interesting morning...now, back to my laundry and cleaning.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This really confused me since there is so many abbrev. but im interested to know how u 'pick' a sperm guy? a doner? when u say profiles? is that like doctors and w/ their history & such? now correct me if im wrong, do they verify the guys? what if its a mental person from teh street who comes in and donates sperm for some extra cash? how will u know?? ok maybe not that extreme but what if a person is alocholic, how do u weed those guys out? some more 'info' would help. This is quite interesting.

btw im the same anon. I dont have a blogspot account so i have to type as as annon. sorry to here about ur relationships. we all been there. Ill be alone this nye...but ill be eating a cake in midnight...since u are on a diet, ill eat it for u :) hehe. Have a good New Years Eve & a new year.

December 31, 2004 6:11 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Anon, it's funny that you ask about donor selection since I just was describing my process to someone else earlier today. For me, I began by looking for someone with brown hair (like me), that narrowed the search but not too much, I was also interested in blue eyes (like me), but that gave only a few results so I stuck with brown hair. From there, I looked at their family health history. It was important to me to find a donor with minimal health problems.

As for how you know they aren't psychos, well I suppose you don't, but it is highly unlikely. Sperm banks have rather high standards. If you want to become a donor you fill out the paperwork (including your health history as well as your immediate family - parents, aunts/uncles, siblings, grandparents). Then they leave a sperm sample which is evaluated for your major communicable diseases. Donors need to agree to donate once a month or something like that (or was it a week..don't remember) and so the staff get to know them well. The sperm is frozen and "in quarantine" for 6 months from the time of deposit to continue to test the donor for communicable diseases like HIV.

Abbreviations in my post...IUI, intrauterine insemination. I will be having IUI. The sperm will be "washed" by the doctor, so there is no need to buy IUI prepared sperm.

ICI intracervical insemination. This is a portion of ejaculate, unwashed.

December 31, 2004 6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home