Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Saturday, April 23, 2005

Need your creative ideas

I am trying to put together the unit plan for the 3 week internship I have to do for my ESL certification. There are so many obstacles though. There is no curriculum. By that I mean that there are no set standards for what things they need to learn. The teacher I will work with and I decided I would do a unit on transportation. There is no textbook, this means that I have to make EVERYTHING up myself. I don't know the class at all which means it is really hard to envision what they can do (this is a level 1 beginner class...)

So, I am panicing. (is there a k in that? I think maybe there is...panicking I don't know..neither look right). I was actually supposed to have created this during spring break, but I lazed around and didn't do that, and now my meeting with the teacher (who I really don't get along with very well..but of our four ESL teachers she is the only one teaching ESL during that period...one other teacher is teaching but it was ESL biology...) is Monday morning at 6:50.

If you have any creative ideas of things we can do...especially fun writing activities, very structured like for a grade 1 or 2 class, or craft activities, please PLEASE let me know. Thanks!:) Please keep in mind that although these students language levels are very low, they are teenagers...

For those of you waiting on pins and needles during my 2ww, all is well so far, temp rose significantly this morning...I think O was late in the afternoon, possibly evening on cd15, perfect timing. :)

6 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Hey sweetie, listen, if you need any help hit me up. How low are they ESL wise? Try www.edhelper.com I can also help with some standards and stuff (I teach Special Ed students in an ESL classroom). You can hit me up on AIM if you have it (piccologrl72) or Yahoo messanger (minnie0672)

Jen :)

April 23, 2005 5:38 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Thanks, Jen. I WOULD love ideas...I don't have AIM yahoo messenger though. :( only MSN and ICQ...LOL. There are just way too many options!

Anyway, these are absolute beginners...they have been in the class for maybe like 6 months, with no previous English experience.

April 23, 2005 7:19 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I'm on MSN also its minnie061272

April 23, 2005 7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would definitely research ESL and transportation activities on the web. Are you prepared to buy any materials? I think a lot of ESL materials for the high school are borrowed from black line masters for the elementary grades. Visit a teachers' store.

Some ideas....

Have students cut out pictures of modes of transportation from magazines/newspapers, glue them on construction paper, and then label them.

Find tape recording of sounds made from different vehicles and ask students to guess which ones they hear.

Decide on a list of vocabulary you want your kids to know regarding transportation (nouns and verbs). Reinforce those words in your activities.

This is just for starters.

Rae

April 23, 2005 8:04 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

thanks, Rae. I have bought tons of things over the years, problem is I don't have them at home because I lent them all to the French teacher because she is teaching a period of ESL this year. Anyway, I like your idea of the collage...great artsy kind of project to do.:) the sounds can also be a fun activity:)

April 23, 2005 8:51 PM  
Blogger madgirl said...

dont have any suggestions for you im afraid - but wanted to wave hello since i did visit and that :)

i wish you the best of luck round your journey. hope you get some happy news soon :))

April 24, 2005 12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home