Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Friday, April 08, 2005

Mandated reporter

Today, I had the unfortunate priviledge of doing my duty as a "mandated reporter". Other teachers, doctors, and others who work with children likely know exactly what I am talking about.

Some professions, like teachers and I believe doctors, are required to report any suspicion of child abuse or neglect.

I did have to deal with a family in an abusive situation many years ago when I ran a day camp for an immigrant organization, however, I was not involved in any of the reporting. The children were in my day camp. Sometimes, I would go to pick them up for day camp. One day, I went to pick them up and as I left my car, I could hear screaming and things being thrown around. When I got to the door, the children came running out so quickly. A day or two later, the dad showed up at my house with roses to thank me for driving the children, supposedly (I assume he thought he could charm me and I wouldn't report what I heard...I told my coworkers at the immigrant association and they reported it). It was so very frightening and creepy. And then one day they were in a shelter. I went to visit them at the shelter and they were so happy to see me, but so very sad. Worst of all, a month later, mom and kids moved back with the abusive father. It was all so heartbreaking. I have thought of them over the years, wonder what happened to them.

Today, however, was my first time having to call CPS. I went up to see one of the counselors who called the student in question in. She asked the student a few questions, dismissed the student, and we made the call.

Two things stuck with me all day. 1) The student insisted it was their fault. 2) The student believed nothing would happen/change, and I suspect they may be right.

I felt in such an awkward place. I worried that the student would think I had betrayed them. This is a student who is already very withdrawn from me, one of those students I have always wanted to reach, but just never have. I will worry about this student for nights to come I am sure...

This has got to be one of the worst things about being a teacher..

2 Comments:

Blogger Deb2You2 said...

Katrina - I'm sorry that you had to report the student. It is so hard. You can hope that it will make things better and try not to worry that it would make things worse. Easier said than done, but you were doing your job as you are required to do. A few years ago, I read the book about a child called "it". Child abuse is no small matter. Take care you yourself.

April 11, 2005 3:47 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Thanks, Debbie. yes, it was difficult...I hope that CPS follows up. Thanks for caring!:)

April 12, 2005 8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home