Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Not nearly as fun as the "traditional" way...

HOLY COW, it was painful.

Let me start by saying I have never had a painful pap test, so I assumed inserting the speculum would be the same feeling, uncomfortable, yes, but not painful.

Well, I was supposed to have IUI with the nurse, but for some reason that other RE I saw last week who told me I wouldn't ovulate did my IUI. I got the feeling she had never done one before as the nurse told her what everything was for when she came in?

Anyway, I don't know what she did wrong, but I was in so much pain, she had to remove the speculum, wet it with water (apparently you can't use any lubricant even though the sperm will not be in your vagina?? I didn't understand that), and then try again. I was seriously laying there thinking that I didn't know if I could even go through with it...that painful. And I generally have a good pain tolerance.

The second time there was more discomfort than normal, but it was nothing like the first time. Once the speculum was in place, the rest was easy, and no discomfort.

Post-thaw I had 22 million motile sperm...they had 77% motility, which seemed like a good number.

She told me to wait there 20 minutes with my hips raised (the table bent to aid in this). I didn't have a watch, so she set a timer?! LOL. :) The timer didn't work though, so I may have stayed longer...who knows.

In any case, swimmers are on board...now I need to convince the egg and sperm to get together;)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bobbi BABY DUST BABY DUST 80)

January 25, 2005 9:20 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Thanks, Bobbi!

January 25, 2005 9:30 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

*sprinkles lots of baby dust*

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :) I am so excited for you :) OHHHHHH YAY :) I didn't have a chance to post earlier so I was glad I got to see this one when I got home tonight :) EEEP :) SOOOOOOOOOO excited :) I hope it goes well and I'll say a special prayer just for you tonight :) *sprinkles more baby dust*

January 25, 2005 10:51 PM  
Blogger Deb2You2 said...

Katrina - I am so happy that you were able to move forward with this cycle. I wanted to add that I have had 4 IUI cycles and on the first one we did a double IUI (so that would be a total of 5 IUI's). My RE did all of the procedures. My 3rd IUI was the only one that was painful. I was really shocked because it had never been painful before. My dr. could tell too because he kept asking if I was okay. I did ask him why that one was painful and none of the other ones were. I never did get a good answer. I have come up with some theories of my on on that. Good luck and welcome to the 2ww. Debbie

January 26, 2005 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had my girl exam today, and it sucked. Here's hoping yours gives you a precious baby though. My fingers are crossed for you!

Michelle

January 26, 2005 3:43 PM  
Blogger Tin Foiled said...

HOORAY! Except for the pain, of course.

All systems go!

January 27, 2005 5:01 AM  
Blogger Kristina said...

ALL of my IUIs hurt like a mother! I have a "sensitive cervix" and the speculum they use in an IUI is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the one they use for a Pap. Take a look at it next time and you'll see that it looks like a pair of tongs rather than a gun-shape. The reason for the pain is that they have to actually clamp onto your cervix to hold it in place. If they just used the gun-shaped speculum (which opens the passage but doesn't touch the cervix), your cervix would be moving all over the place as you breath or move your muscles at all. So they actually clamp down on the cervix itself. Once I understood this, I was able to deal with the pain a little better. It didn't just feel totally wrong.

fyi- if you ever have an HSG (to see that your tubes are open and your uterus shaped correctly), they'll use this kind of speculum as well. The speculum was the only pain I had in the HSG.

hang in there!!! it will be worth it for us when we're finally pg!
ciao!
Kristina

February 03, 2005 2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home