Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Friday, October 22, 2004

Dumb doctors

Well, it has been another long week here filled with dentist appointments, doctor appointments, staff meetings, report cards and never forget work-school and school-school.

Sorry that it has taken so long to finally get an update out.

Anyway, I went to the doctor on Tuesday for my physical. You may recall that I was very excited to go and was hoping that I would get some answers and some blood work going. No such luck. In fact, I was so unimpressed with my doctor's visit, I decided it was not worth driving to Seattle to see him anymore and I am going to look for an OB/GYN at the Everett Group Health. I literally know nothing more than I did when I walked in. That's not true, the nurse took my blood pressure, so I suppose that was something I didn't know on my own. I told my doctor I wanted to start donor insemination and he told me I needed to go to a fertility clinic and they would have to put me on Clomid. No surprise there...

The pap test was the longest I have EVER had. He put in the speculum and then did who knows what for a couple of minutes at his desk before he came back and actually took the swab...HEELLLOO??? He asked if I had had an ultrasound at his clinic, I said yes, he then asked if it had shown any fibroids or polyps (shouldn't HE know this???). I told him yes, you removed two polyps when you performed the D&C!!!! He did NOT take a new ultrasound which surprised me given the fact that I told him a) I wanted to begin DI, and b) I had just had an unmedicated period for the first time in years...

He also did not do ANY blood tests...This didn't even occur to me until after he had left as I was just so shocked at how little was done. None at all. They usually run blood tests every 6 months or so to check my liver functioning due to the Metformin, and they test my blood sugar just about every time I see a doctor...so...what the HELL??????

So yeah, this doctor appointment did not leave me in a good mood....However, I realized I need to get the ball rolling here for contacting fertility clinics since I don't know how long it will take to get in and get ready to start... So, I found a site online called locateadoc or something like that and filled out the "more information" form for all the doctors listed under fertility in the Seattle area and we will see if any respond. If not, I will start calling sometime soon (like sometime before I go home for Christmas...)



10 Comments:

Blogger carrie said...

Sorry that things didn't go as you had hoped at the doctor's office. Doctors can be so strange sometimes. I went to mine last fall asking about weight loss, knowing that there is a nutritionist on staff at the clinic, and thinking that he would check me out to make sure there's not a medical reason for my weight gain/inability to lose and refer me to the nutritionist. But no, no tests are run, even though I tell him that I have a family history of thyroid problems. No referral to the nutritionist. He prescibes some Wellbutrin for me, saying that it is a treatment for depression, but that weight loss is one of the side effects.

I never filled that script, by the way. I thought I would be better off trying to lose the weight on my own than taking medication.

I'm getting side-tracked. Just hang in there. You'll find the right doctor, and everything will be fine for you. Think positively...as in a positive pregnancy test one day. :)

October 23, 2004 3:11 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Thanks for your encouragement. I definitely dream of positive pregnancy tests down the road....:)

The weight loss was another issue I had thought I would discuss with my doctor, but while I did tell him I had lost 20 pounds, that was about the end of our discussion...He really was not very talkative as you can see hahaha.

As for this week's weigh-in, I lost 2 pounds! I don't know why exactly, but I am happy and hope it continues...:)

October 23, 2004 10:14 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

Congrats on the 2 pounds! Yippee!! :)

My weight loss has kinda stalled, but I know it's because I've been eating bad. I'm planning to get back on track this week.

Are you still playing the Sims? I've taken a couple days off. I reached a level of burnout, finally. I think it's much better for me that way, anyway. I'm actually getting things done again. :)

Have a great week!

October 24, 2004 7:35 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Oh I am still playing the Sims. I try not to play during the week thought because I honestly don't know where the time goes...all of a sudden I have been playing for 8 hours...;)

I have been trying to play the different families...Now I am having a problem with the "parents" in one family...they won't sleep in the same bed anymore which is very frustrating...I have to send one to sleep on the couch and they don't get much rest there....sigh...I can't seem to get them back to a red heart, they are at 100 with each other and just had a baby...but they are only at pink hearts (crush) and won't sleep in the same bed...very frustrating..

October 24, 2004 8:29 PM  
Blogger JamDaddy said...

Sorry about the doctor. I hate running into a real schmuck who can't take the time to look at a chart or read even the summary page of your file. Guess he thought you just showed up to give him some money for a car payment. Hopefully you can find someone who is really into what they do and are somewhat excited to help you.

BTW, I do have a quick test. Come here when my brother visits. Hit on him, if you are fertile and impregnable he will run. If not, he will be willing to be your love slave. Cheaper and more fun than a doctor visit.

October 24, 2004 8:56 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

LOL...that is an interesting test....hahahah..does he usually date infertile women? hahah Is this a tried and true test? This is just the strangest thing I have ever heard...;)

I'm afraid I won't be able to make it out to Virginia...perhaps you should send him here?;)

By the way, I went to Virginia once...Chincoteague I think was the name of the island we stayed on...it was very beautiful. :)

October 24, 2004 9:03 PM  
Blogger JamDaddy said...

I don't think he searches for infertile women, but he says he is afraid of kids. I however want him to get married and have kids, I think he will be a great Dad. He is in Atlanta. Many direct flights from WA to GA, cheap too.

Posted a couple of pics of him on my blog, check him out.

October 25, 2004 5:22 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

to get your sims back in love instead of just a crush, try kissing...like the tender kiss if it's an option. That usually works for me.

If only real life were that simple. Predetermined triggers for different behaviours, getting a promotion at work is as simple as getting the right skill points and going to work in a good mood, and even better, as you get more advanced in your career, you make more and work less.

And for you (and lots of others around the world) a "Try for Baby" button to click. Wouldn't it be nice? ;)

October 25, 2004 8:27 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Jam Daddy, It is so funny how you are trying to marry him off so badly...isn't that your mom's job?;) He is a cutie, that is for sure...beautiful blue eyes. :) Alas, he lives too far away to get the job done;) hahahahah

Carrie, yep, life is definitely easier in Sim-land. Although, my Sim did not get pregnant the first time she "tried for baby"...hahah

October 25, 2004 10:42 PM  
Blogger Tin Foiled said...

When I went to get my medical note (bizarre French law requires it even for the 24 hour flu), I felt bizarrely uncomfortable because the doctor wasn't pushing me out the door as fast as possible.

Weird, hey? What does that say about North American doctors?

October 26, 2004 12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home