Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Sunday, October 03, 2004

Opinions, please

Well, next Monday is Thanksgiving in Canada. I still feel rather Canadian, and I have invited my aunt, uncle and cousin over for a Thanksgiving dinner...

Here is my dilemma:

A week ago, I was invited to a huge dinner at my aunt's with a family from the Republic of Georgia (where my cousin just came back from the Peace Corps). My aunt made a turkey for this dinner.....

My question to you: Do I:

a) make a turkey anyway
b) make a ham
c) ??? give me other suggestions...

Voting is open until Friday night when I will go grocery shopping. (I am serving dinner on Sunday since Monday is not a holiday here in the States)

9 Comments:

Blogger JamDaddy said...

I do love turkey and the left-overs, but there are many other things I have made in the past to go with Thanksgiving dinner. All have gone over very well.
Pork Loin, Cornish Game Hens, and Rack of Lamb.

October 04, 2004 11:55 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

Ooh, Cornish Game Hens sound yummy. I like to roast them with butter and herbs de provence tucked under the skins. Not exactly healthy, but hey, you can always take the skin off before you eat it.

October 04, 2004 5:20 PM  
Blogger Tin Foiled said...

Duck! It's dramatically different than turkey, but still in the poultry family. And there are many recipes that use duck breast if you don't want to make a whole duck.

It's delicious and nutricious. Fun for the whole family!

For those who criticize duck for being overly greasy, the French assure me that it is the "good" kind of fat.

I like the cornish hen idea too, and I use herbes de provence on nearly everything! Let me know if you need me to bring back a bushel for Christmas.

October 05, 2004 2:23 AM  
Blogger JamDaddy said...

Mmmm, I forgot duck. I do prefer it with Thai seasoning slow cooked so it is very moist. I can't confirm the fat is good for you, but it is good.

October 05, 2004 12:30 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Well, duck is out for me...I don't know how to cook a duck and don't know if I could even buy one at my local Safeway...

Cornish game hens are a possibility....

My goal is to have only slightly more food than necessary. It is hard guessing at that quantity though since, as I have noted earlier, my uncle and my cousin both eat about 2-3 meals each it would seem. :)

So, I am no longer cooking for 4, but instead more like 8. :)

October 05, 2004 3:49 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

It's too bad that you can't have duck. It's really not that hard to prepare, and a duck roasted with a nice brown crispy skin is beyond comparison.

But back to the cornish hens, from experience with my family, one per person has been more than enough (with side dishes, of course). We're all of normal appetite, I assume. I usually prepare a mixture of brown and wild rice with seasoning and serve a salad or some type of green veggie with mine.

Another thing my family likes is chicken breasts that I "stuff" with rice and andouille sausage. Yum.

October 05, 2004 10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ham is an easy way to go, but I much prefer the ideas of either cornish hens. OR, I've got a great recipe for a roasted pork loin stuffed with a yummy sage stuffing. Very easy, you mix up the stuffing the night before, then the day of you have your loin cut in half (most come that way) and then the day of you put the stuffing in between the halves, tie with cooking twine and roast. Happy to share the recipe if you want it. It got rave reviews. Goes well with various sides.

October 07, 2004 9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CRAP! helps if I tell you who I am. I'm the one that posted about the stuffed pork loin. You can contact me at www.infertilityisfunny.blog-city.com or email me at shorty1kanobi@hotmail.com
Mandy

October 07, 2004 9:47 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

So, since the grocery shopping happened yesterday, what was the decision on the dinner?

October 09, 2004 8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home