Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Something's fishy...

Now, before you understand what an incredibly amazing and suprising thing this is, you must know that I physically gag at the smell of fish/seafood. I tell people I can't eat any fish/seafood because I don't want to embarass any of us if it won't go down, or worse, comes back up.

As part of a healthy diet, you are told that fish is very good for you and you should eat it. So, in light of my trying to be healthier, I decided to try some fish...I actually have bought two different things that are in the freezer: some big hunk of fish that looked white and closest to chicken, and some lemon pepper or something like that fish fillet. However, I have not had the nerve to try them....they have sat in my freezer for about a month or two...

Today, I needed a couple things from the grocery store. I wanted some frozen veggies so went down that aisle, and I always notice what is on sale. There were these breaded seasoned fish fillets....not the healthiest of fishes I am sure because of the bread...but the seasonings, garlic herb or something like that, sounded very good. So....I bought them. And not only did I buy them, I cooked one for dinner (they are kind of like chicken fingers...a serving is two pieces, but I was scared and only made one...). I imagine it would have been a very funny sight to see me. Praying that I like it. Praying that I don't throw up. Eyeing the piece of unknown food on my plate with much fear and trepidation, 1000 times more scared than the time I was offered braised cat at the border between Mali/Burkina Faso, or even when I ate a stew of bush rat in Cote d'Ivoire...I could not have been more horrified of this fish. I pierced it with my fork, said yet another prayer...and decided I couldn't do it. I put it down. At least 5 prayers were said before I finally got the nerve and brought it to my mouth....


and....



I liked it! YUMMMM!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger carrie said...

I can't imagine that the thought of eating frozen breaded fish could be scarier than braised cat or bush rat stew. I think I would rather starve than eat either of those.

But I'm glad you liked the fish! Yay for you!

Now, if only I could get my husband to eat fish...

September 15, 2004 9:40 PM  
Blogger JamDaddy said...

You were so brave (I have used that with my kids). Funny how some foods just hit that spot in our brains that shouts NOOOOOO! Once you have mastered the processed breaded fish move to a smoked salmon or something that is not "fishy". A good seafood department manager can help you out. Plus cooking it on the grill as opposed to baking will make it easier on your senses. I have learned this from years of testing on my kids, lol.

September 16, 2004 10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home