Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Monday, February 19, 2007

Frustrated

The babysitter has been giving Eliana her fluids in a sippy cup for well over a month. No problems, Ellie drinks it all up with no complaints. At home, however, is a different story. I have tried once before, when the babysitter first started giving Ellie sippies as I thought, good, we will try that at home too. Eliana refused to drink for an entire day at which point I panicked and gave her a bottle.

So, since Eliana is feeling better today, I thought, let's try this again (note: even on Friday when she was REALLY sick, she drank from a sippy for the babysitter). She drank a little under an ounce, and then kept throwing the cup, arching her back, and screaming. Eventually, I took the lid off and was able to get her to drink another ounce just from the cup, but quite a bit spilled down her face and of course, I had to do the tipping, she didn't even touch the cup.

How long will this last? It is so frustrating as she screamed practically the whole morning until about 20 minutes ago when i gave her a pacifier, at which point she went down for a nap.

We have tried all different kinds of sippy cups, including ones with straws. She likes the straw ones best and we do water and pedialyte (when needed) in those all the time. This morning I tried her formula in the same kind of sippy cup the babysitter uses (in fact the exact same one she drank from on Friday).

I know they are supposed to be weaned from a bottle at or around 1 year, so I thought it should be fairly easy now that she drinks ALL fluids from a sippy for the babysitter...but nope.

OK, this is rambling, but I welcome advice from you moms out there!

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristi-Anna said...

She is still so little. Who said they need to be weaned from the bottle by a year?! Someone without kids for sure. LOL

No big troubles here, but then I didn't push the issue either. Sophia went from boob to sippy cup. Zachary did the same. JA had bottles for a while, but probably stopped with them totally around 18 months.

Try introducing sippy cups at different times, and if she refuses, don't give her the bottle right away. At the next scheduled drinking time, give her the bottle. Try that for a few days... see how it goes.

She's not even one yet, don't stress about it!

February 19, 2007 6:55 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Kristi-Anna - off the bottle at a year is the pediatrician's recommendation, from the AAP.

February 19, 2007 8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home