Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The other home day care

Well, I visited the other home day care this afternoon, the one that is 200 less a month than the first.

Things I liked:
- it was clean
- there are only 4 kids
- it is cheap (hey, that does have to factor in to some extent)

Things I didn't like:
- there doesn't seem to be any "curriculum", it is more like having a babysitter
- not as organized/informative as others (for example, I would not receive a menu so that I could supplement if I didn't want my child eating something...like a possible allergen or something)
- no budging on summer payments

So, I don't know what to do still. I am leaning towards using this lady for the first year. Not having a curriculum will be fine for an infant, but after that I will probably move on. Plus, I would probably use her until June, cancel for the summer and then reevaluate and find somewhere with a bit more of academic substance...Anyway, those are my thoughts right now. But I have not made any firm decisions...Still open to advice :)

4 Comments:

Blogger TempAngel said...

I agree that for the first year, this could be a good alternative. In the summer, you could look for an alternative that offers more stimulation for your child.

It is such a hard decision to make...to trust someone else for the care and well-being of your child. Arghhh! I don't look forward to it!

January 17, 2006 10:14 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I run a family daycare in Victoria, BC, and I have been reading your blog as I am thinking of having my second on my own. (First is 7 - but that is another story). My advice - find one place and stick to it. Find a place you love, a person you love and your child can grow to love. Children need to develop bonds with their caregiver especially when they are so little when you go back to work. Don't stop looking until you find the perfect fit. Have faith you will find it. Your child will spend alot of time with this person you choose. You did not mention if these providers have any education in the field and how long they have been in business for. Also do they have any of their own children in care (sometimes that is harder for your child). Did you see their inspection reports? Ask all the questions, a good provider will be happy to answer them. There is great daycare out there you just have to ask lots of questions.

Good Luck

Diane

January 18, 2006 7:38 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

That's a tough call. This daycare sounds like a good option for an infant. How long do you plan to have your baby in a home daycare? Do you plan for the baby to go preschool later on? I'd probably try to minimize as many daycare changes, so not one for the first year, then another daycare, then a preschool, etc.

Really the first year, they just need loving care and some stimulation. A formal curriculum is unnecessary. I mean if we were staying home with our kids, would we have a curriculum? But as they get older, it's nice to have it be a little more structured.

January 18, 2006 10:15 AM  
Blogger Chas said...

This home daycare does sound pretty good for the first year. I don't blame you for wanting some structure and curriculum, but you were right in saying that for the first year it won't matter so much.

January 19, 2006 10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home