Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Thanks and Advice needed..Now updated

First, thanks for sending guesses on my baby poll, keep them coming! (although I fear Beth is trying to kill me with that big big baby;) LOL).

Now, I need a bit of advice..I have been drilled repeatedly about the symptoms of preeclampsia because I have all (or at least most) of the risk factors: first pregnancy, diabetic, chronic hypertension and my mother had major problems with high blood pressure when pregnant (nowadays she would have been told she had preeclampsia but then, they said because she had only 3 of the 4 symptoms she didn't...)

Anyway, today I am starting to freak out a bit because I am definitely not ready to have this baby, and of all things that worry me, the worst is that my house is a mess LOL and my parents are planning to stay with me for a couple weeks around the baby's birth...Another big concern are these stupid STUPID professional certification assignments which I must must MUST finish unless I want to take the whole stupid thing over again while taking care of an infant..but my plans at least (but you know how bad of a procrastinator I am...) are to do two of the assignments today..leaving just one last one...anyway...

Which brings me to why I am freaking out a bit. I have definitely noticed swelling in my legs this week, but nothing as serious as I expected, honestly, I have had worse swelling during hot summers. But more importantly, today, very briefly, I "Saw stars" which was one of the symptoms I was to watch for. I figure maybe I just got up too quickly or something, it only lasted about 30 seconds, but should I be worried? Do I call the doctor (which isn't open on the weekends I don't think so I don't know how to do it...)?

Thanks for any advice!

Edited to add: I do have an appointment scheduled Monday afternoon with the OB, just a regular check-up. I tried calling the office now to see if I could talk to someone, but as suspected, they are closed on Saturdays..

Update: After having some lunch, I did call back and pressed 1 to go to the answering service. They were about to put me through to the on call OB when she asked how far along I was and when I said 30 weeks, she said, let me put you through to triage. So I spoke with a nurse at the hospital and she said I am OK to wait for my regular OB appointment Monday afternoon as long as it doesn't happen again or any new symptoms. She said to be sure to tell the OB about the swelling (which i am not too concerned about..), the stars (which concerned me the most) and heartburn. I had no idea I was supposed to be watching out for heartburn but it has definitely gotten much much worse this past week or so...

6 Comments:

Blogger Jann said...

I have had an emergency Doctor's appointment for swelling (because I was scared of the PRE-E as well), but luckily mine happened on a weekday.

I say go with your gut. You will know if something is wrong. If you don't feel right, call your dr's office, see if they have a pager service, etc, or go to a clinic or ER. It's always better to be safe than sorry, and medical professionals make money taking care of us, so it's not like you are wasting their time.

The one thing that I did purchase that has eased my mind significantly is a home blood pressure monitor (around $100). When I swell, I take my BP, if its normal...I just go and lay down for a bit and drink loads of water.


Good luck!

January 07, 2006 12:13 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Thanks Tempangel. I did call and it seems everything is OK to wait until my OB appointment Monday afternoon...I guess I KNEW I should call, I just needed some nudging. :) here's to hoping we both get to hold on to these little ones a while longer!:)

January 07, 2006 1:57 PM  
Blogger Jann said...

I didn't know to watch out for heartburn either!!!

I have been having loads of heartburn lately...

Arghh...Do we ever get to NOT worry during pregnancy?????

January 07, 2006 5:02 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I had preeclampsia with both of my pregnancies and seeing stars is definitely something to watch for. I have to tell you that those littel 30 second episodes happened often for me towards the end. I am going to venture a guess that you will be moved to weekly visits with non-stress tests now. They really make you worry more than you need to these days, but as your other comment says, better to be safe.
Stick with your instinct. Best advice when you have those episodes is to lay on your left side for 1/2 hour or so and to drink cold water or juice.
Take care.

January 07, 2006 5:18 PM  
Blogger Deb2You2 said...

Hi Katrina! Almost called you tonight, but decided it was too late. Had a nap today so am still wide awake. Never had pre-e, but did have some swelling and have seen "stars" a few times after Max was born. My research says it was most likely dehydration. I would recommend guzzling the water. It may help some. It did for me both while pregnant and after. Just a thought. And, it can't hurt except for having to pee every 5 min.

January 07, 2006 10:25 PM  
Blogger Deb2You2 said...

just to clarify, the swelling was while pregnant and the dizzy spells were after Max was born. My ankles really swelled up on the day of my shower, which is about how far along you are now??? Water and excersize helped with that, but didn't get dizzy then. Only got dizzy a few times since Max was born. Very scary.

January 07, 2006 10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home