Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Interesting day...

I practically kicked a student out the door I was so excited about the impending insemination. I left school at 2:20 exactly and was in Seattle way too early..around 2:45, so I parked the car in a free parking area about a mile away and just sat there and read the brochure from the quilt show on Sunday.

Just before 3, I drove over to the clinic and went to the deli and had a sandwich because for some reason I was really really hungry. This probably ended up being a very smart move as I didn't get home until just now (6). I ate my sandwich rather quickly and head upstairs by around 3:20 and checked in.

About 10-15 minutes later, someone comes to get me and we go into the exam room. About another 5-10 minutes later the nurse comes in to do the insemination. I tell her how incredibly painful it was last time. She tells me that she knows this because it is on my chart and it says to use the large speculum. I tell her that I think the large speculum may have been the cause of all the pain last time.

So, she agrees to try the regular speculum. She tries and decides that she needs a long speculum, not a large one. (years ago, at a Pap test at the university, one doctor had told me I had a long vagina, but noone else had ever said anything...) She heads out and comes back with a long speculum. She warms it up under the water again and tries again. It was uncomfortable, but nowhere near the pain of last time. After three tries, she says she just can't get to my cervix because it is pointing "towards your bum". So, she says she is going to go get a doctor to do it.

She leaves and comes back in a couple minutes. She tells me that she tried to get a female doctor or the other nurse, but none of them were there, and so Dr. S. was coming. While we wait she explains that she was worried about hurting me since I had had such a bad experience last time, so she wanted to stop after 3 tries.

Dr. S. comes in a couple minutes later, says almost nothing to me, and does a manual exam to first feel where my cervix is...***(the rest of this paragraph is too much information...LOL..I warned you)***. Now, during a physical/pap test, doctors frequently do an "internal" exam, but holy cow...Here was this old man that I had never seen to before trying hard has he might to reach my cervix with his hand...I won't describe in more detail, because I don't know how to without it sounding pornographic..LOL, but if you keep in mind the long vagina, you can probably get the picture.

In any case, he finds my cervix eventually, wets the speculum, and abracadabra, it is in place before I know it and with _NO_ Pain. The nurse asks if I mind if she asks him so questions so that she can learn how to do it so well and I don't really care. Before I know it, the insemination is done, the speculum is out and he says that if I am not pregnant this month, the next person will probably call him again.

I thanked him and the nurse profusely for the painless procedure and did my 20 minute wait thing (this time they had the ultrasound monitor on, so I could see the time).

That is the end of the IUI a continuation on my car trauma.

I finally got my car back on Thursday last week. Everything seemed to be fine. I didn't go anywhere on Saturday, but Sunday I went to pick up my aunt and then drove about 20-30 miles to the quilt show, returned my aunt, and went home (in all, probably about 75-90 miles). When I got home, there was an email from my aunt saying to call them right away because my uncle thought my car might be leaking. He tells me to put paper underneath and check in an hour. I do, but think that it is just rainwater because of where it is. (I didn't put the paper in the right place). Anyway, so Monday when I get home from my appointment, I see that there is a big puddle on the floor of the garage, 13 hours after leaving the house..I figure, this can't be water anymore.

So, today, after school while this poor student was frantically trying to write a quiz, I called to ask about warranty on their service and they said to bring it by this afternoon. So, after my IUI, I drive straight there. They immediately say yes it is leaking quite profusely and they don't know why. And...they need to keep my car, for probably 2 days. I say how I am so tired of rented cars and it is expensive etc. So, the mechanic lent me his van! LOL. I couldn't believe it.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a big gal too and up until now have always had the big speculum. My new doctor used the small speculum and it was quite a relief.

I have to warn you, however, that when you do get pregnant, you'll continue to have an endless barrage of fingers stuck up your privates. There is definitely a technique to this, as one nurse I had damn near killed me with her fingers. Seriously, her exam was worse than my c-section by far.

I'm thinking of buying a ford focus wagon 2005. I know the earlier focuses had problems. What do you think? I like the wagon because of the trunk room.


March 23, 2005 12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, what are your goals for using a master's degree in education?


March 23, 2005 12:21 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Hi Rae. There is no reason that just because a girl is overweight, to use the large speculum as a matter of course. That is dumb. I have never had that before...stupid Dr. Pain. I am glad you have found a doctor who is more understanding.

I hope I never encounter your nurse! LOL This wasn't necessarily painful with Dr. S. manual exam, but it was uncomfortable and just plain awkward and unexpected LOL.

I loved my car until it started dying. I have a 2000, so that was the first year out. I think that they have probably fixed many of the little problems. I know that I have had my car in frequently for recall work, so they have been aware of the problems and pretty proactive on fixing them.

I don't plan on doing anything too exciting with my Masters, just receive a nice raise (5500/year). :)

March 23, 2005 5:52 AM  
Blogger Monica said...

Hey Katrina - good luck with this round ... I hope this is the time that it all sticks and that you will be able to start buying little baby clothes :). Sorry about the car - how very frustrating!

March 23, 2005 6:02 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

Your description of your exam made me think about being in labour at the hospital, where in the course of 12 hours, I had at least 3 different people (2 nurses and my doc) come in to "check my progress."

I started referring to it as the "Mack Truck Maneuver" because I swear it felt like they were driving one in there. It got better once I had the epidural, but it's still a little unnerving when you're lying in bed hooked up to an IV and all sorts of monitors and a nurse walks in and introduces herself as the new shift, gloves up and goes in.

March 23, 2005 4:11 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Monica - "start" buying baby clothes??!! LOL. I started years ago! LOL. :) If I had a child plopped in my lap anywhere from newborn - one year old (two if it is a girl), I would have at least two outfits for it to wear! LOL:)

Carrie - oh man...I can't imagine this, and yet, this is what I am trying to do LOL. :) Thanks for the warning;)

March 23, 2005 4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home