Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

I failed. :(

I failed the Glucose Tolerance Test. :(

Got the call from the nurse today and now I have a whole slew of other appointments to go to...I have to take next Wednesday off to learn how to test my blood. It's a 2 hour training with the nurse and we couldn't agree on any other day before Christmas (either she had commitments or I did) so I have to take the day off. That sucks since I have been trying to load up on sick days for pregnancy and/or when Baby comes. I was pleased that I had been able to get my follow-up fertility appointment for 3:30 on that day (the same day) so that I didn't have to take the day off. :( The nurse also told me that once I am pregnant, I will likely have to switch from the Metformin which I have been on for PCOS/Insulin Resistance but is a diabetic medication, to insulin injections. Lovely. I also had to make an appointment with the nutritionist...it's in January?! I think Group Health needs more nutritionists if it takes that long to get in...

Anyway, while talking to the nurse, it appears that many of the blood tests I needed, and the phlebotomist told me had done, did not get done. She is checking on this for me, but it doesn't look promising. How annoying.

It seems that things are no longer going smoothly. hahah. Thanks for listening to my rant.

5 Comments:

Blogger carrie said...

Sorry to hear this. But you're still on track. Just remember that. Everything that you're doing now is getting you one step closer to your goal...a baby!

Keep your chin up, Katrina. You'll get there. :)

November 17, 2004 8:15 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Thanks Carrie. I really needed that, I pretty much just sat rather stunned in front of the TV all night...I am better today and I know that it doesn't change anything really, other than I will now for sure be a "high risk pregnancy".

November 18, 2004 9:23 PM  
Blogger Tin Foiled said...

It's hardly a rant -- that's some heavy news.

Even if it's not a surprise (you were expecting some complications), it's not pleasant to hear the official confirmation.

Take it easy, no stress. You're doing the best thing you can to reach your goal: educating yourself, improving your health and (hopefully) staying positive. You know you have a whole team of cheerleaders rooting for you!

November 19, 2004 12:20 AM  
Blogger Monica said...

Ahhh... the journey to motherhood! What a curving, bumpy road it can be. I'm sorry for this hurdle but I know that you know that in the end anything you go through will be worth it. I will be praying that things will work out medically that this is just a small hurdle and that very soon the joy of being pg and anticipating the arrival of your son/daughter will take over and this will just become a little nagging thing that is back there but you don't even think about ;).

November 20, 2004 7:47 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Paula, I tried to email you, but you didn't leave an email address (stupid me didn't realize this when i sent it..) Anyway, I went online and researched RE and fertility clinics for months. When I was finally ready to begin, I just went to a website called locateadoc or something like that and looked up REs anywhere near me. I contacted each one from that page and filled out the request more info form. I was very honest and said I was single, with PCOS and very overweight. Only one replied and I am happy as can be with her!

Also, you can checkout the CDC website somewhere..I would have to look up the address again, where they show the stats for IVF of different clinics across the country. On that page there is a spot where it says if they accept singles or not. All of the clinics in the Seattle area did, so I was lucky.

November 27, 2004 2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home