Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Any research writers out there today?

Seriously, if I knew someone to pay to write my action research paper for my professional certification (which I absolutely loathe...and am once again reconsidering not doing and just finding some other profession, or moving out of the States to avoid when my five year certificate is up...), I would pay a handsome fee.

My action research paper is to be about homework completion and how to entice students to do their homework. The two things I tried were: sticker incentives for homework completion, and get out of quiz free if ALL homework and corrections were completely for the two weeks prior to quiz.

Any takers?

I am also working on my Comprehensive Learning Instruction Plan today. It must be a completely standard referenced unit written using the Understanding by Design model. I could also pay someone for that...I have not told her what it would be on so any unit for Spanish is acceptable.

I have never in my lifetime considered buying a paper, and can't imagine I will again. But seriously, if I knew someone who could do it today, I would pay. I hate the professional certification program. Hate it, loathe it, detest it with every fiber of my being. They have said there is the concern of a teacher shortage...this is a sure fire way to be sure they have one. I know of many teachers who are refusing to do the certification and will lose their license. I know that if I had known about all this crap, I would never have moved to the States.

2 Comments:

Blogger Monica said...

Hey Katrina - I've read the book "Understanding by Design" and do not envy you the paper you have to write on that ;).

As for homework incentives, I went to a great speaker at the beginning of the year who spoke of how homework is just one more way we create a classroom with "no average students". Who is going to do the homework in the end? The students who don't necessarily need to of course. The ones who need it will not do it... therefore they will fall further behind while the others stretch further ahead. Remember when we went to school and most of the kids were around the average range? I know in the classes I teach now there is not much of a bell curve as there seem often to be two groups on either extreme and very few "average" kids. Its an interesting thought really.

Having said all that I have not stopped giving homework. But I have started making inviting times for students to work in my room either after school or at lunch time. I sometimes bring out goodies or play a game with them in the middle of the homework or play music or whatever it takes to make it a place that they like to be. And while they are there they sit and do their homework. Its coming along but has taken some time to get them to the point that they *want* to be there. We do also have a policy with our grade 7-9 students that if they are not done an assignment they fill out a missed assignment form and if its not in by the following Wednesday they need to stay at the afterschool study session. For our grade 10-12 students, we end everyday with a 50 minute study period where they have access to teacher help when working on homework. We can also use this period as teachers to teach lessons we didn't finish or give tests or quizzes just by signing up on the board that we have for it. Students check the board to see if they are to be in their regular study hall or elsewhere.

So we aren't really providing incentives as much as we are providing the opportunities and supports needed to get the homework done. Just a couple of thoughts that might be helpful to your paper. I won't write for you but I always love talking teaching!

November 11, 2004 11:06 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Monica, that was interesting...do you have a name for the author/speaker who talked about the homework? I need research to include in my paper...They are both due on Monday, but I have other papers to do for my real grad classes, so want to get them done today.

My school has a similar program to your last period, I think. We have tutorial. However, it is before first period, at 7:00 am, and there is no requirement/attendance for the kids to be there. So, very few use the time. At staff meetings we have discussed moving it to a different time of day, but it never passes the majority. I think the teachers who vote against changing it, just use tutorial for their own planning time and stuff...it's sad. I often have students come in as I require they come in for tutorial or after school to make corrections on their tests. I also play videos or put out board games the last day of the week.:)

November 11, 2004 2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home