Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Saturday, November 13, 2004

20 VIALS...

Holy cow. What a LONG morning. I am so happy to be home and fed. I went in this morning for the majority of my blood tests. They weren't in the computer as my doctor had told me last night that they would be, so I caused a huge backlog at the lab. But the phlebotomist was very kind and patient and just took my sheet from the fertility clinic with the list of blood tests and typed them in himself.

Anyway, so he is doing this and comes back like two to three times, asking me, you know you are going to be here for 2 hours right?, you have been fasting right?, etc...The last question was whether I had my signed consent for an HIV test. I didn't, neither doctor had mentioned this. So he wasn't able to do that one. Of course, that is a simple test, and if I could remember which doctor I had back in Montreal, I could probably even not take it as I have had the test before...oh well.

There is still one test that Group Health can't do and I am going to call the clinic Monday morning to see if I can get it done there when I come in Monday afternoon for my psych consult, and one more that can be done at Group Health but requires a cortisol IV, and blood taken every 30 minutes for about 3 hours...yuck. So, I guess I am going to have to take another day off to get that one done.

In the end, today, they took 20 vials/tubes/whatever you call them....I was about to crazy. The glucose tolerance test wasn't bad at all. I have been told from others that you take some awful orange liquid. They only had one flavor at Group Health, cola, and it tasted just like a Coke or Pepsi or something...I did have a bad headache for about an hour, though that could be a number of things, mainly I suspect lack of food and caffeine withdrawal. haaha.

In the end, Group Health did NOT cover my blood tests, my doctor there had said she thought they would cover my STD tests, so I am hoping for that, but she gave me the costs for the others, and they equal about 650...yuck.

Anyway, things are moving along nicely here. I may get to try one cycle before Christmas...that would be exciting, it would make the 2ww go by very quickly as I would have other things/people to keep my mind off of it! :)

4 Comments:

Blogger carrie said...

20 vials...gee, that sounds like a lot for one day. I imagine you're glad to get that out of the way, but it's too bad that Group Health doesn't cover them.

I am so jealous that your glucose tolerance test drink was cola flavoured and not that yucky orange stuff I got. What was even worse was that I had to take the stuff 2 times. Since my test readings were high the first time, I had to go back for an extended test. It all turned out fine in the end, but I had to endure the awful orange syrup.

It sounds like a lot of the tests you had are the same as what I had to take after I got pregnant. I wonder if you do them now, if they'll make you go through it all over again later?

November 13, 2004 9:28 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Well, some of them I will for sure have to repeat, like the glucose tolerance test as I am at very high risk of diabetes (gestational or otherwise...). The drink wasn't bad at all, and considering I don't really like pop hahaha that was pretty impressive. :)

I know that some of the other tests that I am getting are standard once you are pregnant, so I don't get why GH won't pay for them now...that's just dumb. Like Rubella, and varicella, and my blood type, probably the STDs too.

And, then the other tests that were specific to me, like screening for Cushings disease (a problem with your pituitary gland from what I can tell) and screening for inherited thrombophilia (blood cloting disorders), I expected those to be paid for since they don't JUST affect my fertility. The only reason we are doing the thrombophilia screen now is that if I do have this disorder, I will need to be on Heprin throughout my pregnancy...a pretty serious thing, and if I had a partner and was trying the "old-fashioned way" I would still want to know this BEFORE I have a serious issue with a blood clot, not when I am hospitalized or worse...

November 13, 2004 9:47 PM  
Blogger JamDaddy said...

After giving up so much fluid you should rush out and give blood. I always race my friends to see who can fill up the bag first. We get quite a buzz. If you pass out or can't sit up you are disqualified. Games of the work place.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time, any bruises?

November 13, 2004 11:12 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Any bruises? ahhaha are you kidding me? you could touch me with a feather and I bruise! ahhaha I STILL have bruises on both arms...and I had to give more blood today, so I suspect I shall have even newer bruises tomorrow (they always take a day to turn really purple).

November 18, 2004 9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home