Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Friday, December 12, 2008

Why don't doctors listen??

I am quite frustrated with doctors. When I was pregnant with Jacob, I said over and over the last week or so that something was wrong...noone listened.

Yesterday, I got a prescription for Jacob..amoxicillin. I said I am a little worried because Eliana is allergic to amoxicillin. Oh, no worries he says. Jacob probably isn't.

Wrong.

I am home today after 1 hour of working because Jacob threw up for 20 minutes straight and has a rash...Doctor still won't call it an allergy, it's an intolerance.

Who cares, listen to me next time. No amoxicillin for any child of mine.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

I think whoever you talked to is misinformed. Yes, the vomiting could be an 'intolerance' but a rash is a classic allergic reaction.
I have the same problem w/codeine. My mom and brother are the same way, so I am betting my kids probably have it too, but the docs/nurses never listen, and I always have to argue about it until they finally just give in and prescribe something else when Ceara gets a cold, since she always coughs so hard she gags and can't sleep.
it is so darn frustrating! I guess all we can do is keep on advocating for our kids, loudly if need be!

December 12, 2008 1:30 PM  
Blogger Peta-maree said...

I tried to email the below to you but your email on your profile was not working.

Dear Katrina,

I have just come across your blog and i have been reading it from the beginning and I am have tears rolling down my face as I see myself in some of the things that you have gone through.

I am 36 single and starting down the track to be a single mother by choice. I have my first Dr’s appointment next week with a fertility clinic in Sydney Australia. I am nervous and excited at the same time. I have not really talked to my family about it yet as I am not sure what they would say. I know that My parents would love to have Grandchildren but I think that they still think that Mr Right is around the corner.

As a larger girl and having been single for 6 nearly 7 years now I don’t think that he is around the corner. So somehow I need to work out how to talk to at least my mum about this. I have talk to my 2 best friends and they are 100% behind me as are some of my other friends. So far I have only had a couple of shocked reactions and no are you crazy reactions. How did you cope with all of this.

I have a genetic blood disorder which might rule me out of using donor sperm but I won’t know till next week. If this is the case then I am up a creek without a paddle unless I can find Mr Right. Trying to think positive thoughts at the moment on this one but not easy.

I still need to move out of home (have been back here trying to save money ahahhhhhh) Have to really start saving as of now. I will be looking around to see what I have that I can sell off to help raise fund/savings

Any way I have rattled off now for a while.

Congratulations on your journey and I look forward to reading more posts from you

Peta
Sydney, Australia

December 29, 2008 9:58 PM  
Blogger Demeter said...

Hi Kat,
I haven't been around in a while to read your blog, I see you have two adorable cuties. Sometimes doctor's do not know more than parents when it comes to their children. Follow your instinct. They can always prescribe medication that is not allergenic. It is an option.

January 10, 2009 7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home