Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Friday, May 09, 2008

Jacob is here!

As some of you may know, I had been quite concerned about things last week...well, went to my NST on Monday (May 5th), and within 15 minutes the nurse said, I think you are having this baby today. The OB concurred, however the problem was that I had taken my Heparin just before the NST (they were both due at 3:00pm). The OB didn't think Jacob could tolerate labour, so preparations were made for an emergency c-section. By 5:30 I was given protamine to reverse the Heparin, by 7:30 I was in the OR and at 8:04 he was born. Jacob let out a very angry cry, and then stopped breathing. There was also meconium in the amniotic fluid. The NICU was at his birth and worked on him quickly to restore his breathing. They showed him to me briefly, then whisked him down to the NICU. He was placed on CPAP to help with his breathing and since his glucose was way too low (11 I think..), they started an umbilical cord line (the medical types will know the correct term) of glucose. His blood sugar level got as level as 7 at one point...I didn't get to see him until 10:00am on Tuesday. He was off CPAP by Wednesday, but his blood sugars continue to be a big problem. He is so sleepy and he doesn't want to eat..so they started a feeding tube yesterday (Thursday). Today, he is starting to eat a tiny little bit by breast and bottle, and hopefully he will start learning to regulate his blood sugars soon and to eat...I am hopeful that he will be home by the end of next week...the doctors won't give me a timeline, so that is just my own hope. They had originally said 4-14 days...so we will see.

I am home as of tonight and trying to recover from a c-section. I wanted to avoid one at all costs and this has been confirmed LOL. I much much preferred the recovery from a vaginal delivery, but he had to come out and it had to be then. The neonatalogist at his birth told me he would not have made a vaginal delivery, so it was definitely the right choice.

I am really tired, quite sore, and heading to bed. I have some pictures but haven't downloaded them yet.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jann said...

Congrats Mama!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see the pics! I will keep Jacob in my thoughts and prayers till he is able to be home with his Mom and big sister!

May 10, 2008 10:12 AM  
Blogger jen @ negative lane said...

Congratulations! I originally found you from FF and have been keeping tabs on you ever since, since we are (were) both due in May. It sounds to me like Jacob is doing pretty well (if he's nippling his feedings), so I'm sure he will be home soon.

May 10, 2008 3:21 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Congratulations!!!! I'm so glad to hear that he is here and safe and sound. I hope he gets home to you soon! Can't wait to see pictures.

May 11, 2008 5:04 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Congratulations. I am glad to hear he is doing good now. Hope he comes home soon. I look forward to seeing the little guy.
Glad to hear you are doing good too.

May 11, 2008 5:14 AM  
Blogger Kimmyann said...

Congratulations! I hope both you and Jacob have quick recoveries and Jacob comes home soon.

May 11, 2008 3:57 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Congratulations! I am happy to hear that the baby and you are ok. Sounds like it was a bit scary. Can't wait to see pics! Feel better and we'll pray for Jacob.

May 11, 2008 5:41 PM  
Blogger C said...

Congratulations, Katrina! Super Happy Baby Jacob has arrived. Please take care of yourself and let others help out and spoil you a little.

May 11, 2008 5:44 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Congratulations! I can't believe I starting reading your blog when you were trying for Eliana and here you are with a Little Boy! I'll keep you all in my prayers!

May 12, 2008 7:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Katrina,

Eliana and Zarah Alexis (my daughter) is of the same age and it seems same birth date. Zarah Alexis was born March 6, 2006 at 8am Singapore Time, which is likely about March 5, 2006 5pm in Seattle.

Surprise! Surprise! I am also a Single Mom and I think you can say that it was by Choice..although my Sperm Donor was actually an ex-boyfriend of whom I never really imagined to be a husband, much less the father of my baby. Just like you, I have a very strong mother instinct since I was 9 years old...and contemplating about being a Single Mom since I turned 29. I am also 33 year old ( I was born in 1975). What a coincidence. But unlike you, I really did not have a concrete plan of getting pregnant on my own. And for quite sometime I considered asking my SD to marry me so Zarah could have a father, but I changed my mind and stood my ground...and here I am,,still a happy Single Mother...never had the courage to date again though...and I cannot afford a 2nd child ....but I wish I can...

Check this out:
www.zarahalexis.multiply.com
http://www.babycrowd.com/jr/online/alexismom

regards,
alexismom

May 13, 2008 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home