Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Monday, October 22, 2007

Another concern..

This pregnancy is just full of troubles...

Non-pregnant, my blood sugars are quite stable. Last pregnancy, I eventually needed Metformin, glyburide and two types of insulin. This pregnancy started out quickly with needing to move from just Metformin to Metformin and glyburide..I worry about what's in store...

In any case, I had a very scary experience tonight. Around 5, I had a brownie (I know...not a great idea, but I was really craving one). Then I had supper at 6, spaghetti with meatballs. While eating supper I felt very full and didn't eat as much as I might normally, but it was still a decent amount. I felt very very tired after supper so decided I had better take my blood sugar at 2 hours post eating (I don't always, OB said for now just fasting was OK). It was 58!!!! I have never in my life had a blood sugar so low. I took it again immediately on the other hand in case I did something wrong...still 58.

I panicked. I called the consulting nurse hotline and was on the phone with her for about 30 minutes during which time she had me have a 1/2 cup juice and retake blood sugar about 10 minutes after we started talking, 56!! Then I had another 1/2 cup and retake (about 20 minutes after original) and it was finally going up and was 63. She left me with instructions to have a 1/2 peanut butter sandwich and she will call back in an hour...my blood sugar now is 99.

What is going on??? I am really very perplexed...and concerned.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kirsten said...

Hi my name is Kirsten and this is my first time reading your blog. After reading your post I hope that your issue with your blood sugar has worked out alright. I have a blog of my own, but I don't update it very often so it's pretty boring right now!!! Good luck and I'll keep reading!

October 24, 2007 6:09 AM  
Blogger harmonie said...

I hope things are normalizing for you by now. Mine hasn't been as adventurous as yours, but my 2nd pregnancy is not even close to what my 1st was. (It's a good thing my 1st wasn't this tricky, or there might not be a 2nd on the way!)
Take care!

October 25, 2007 3:57 PM  
Blogger lltanderson said...

hi, katrina

i am a first-time reader of your blog, and i'm sorry to learn that things are going so roughly for you! you've been through some scary stuff. i'm thinking of you with a lot of positive thoughts. i hope your pregnancy settles down!

wishing you much peace and an easier pregnancy,
-lori

October 26, 2007 3:25 PM  
Blogger donor mom to be said...

Hi! I just read this post and wanted to let you know that, as an insulin dependent diabetic, I have done a LOT of research into what does/doesn't happen through pg (just because I know it will be a rollercoaster, lol, and I am trying to prepare myself as much as I can!:-)

Anyway... even though you are type 2, the principles of what's going on while you are pg are still the same ... what you are describing sounds exactly RIGHT ON for the number of weeks pg you are!! It is at this time (just before/after/around week 10) that you will suddenly experience uncharacteristically low blood sugar drops because this is the time when the placenta takes over the work that increased levels of progesterone were doing before to sustain the baby's life (in the first 9 or so weeks). Progesterone is a really effective insulin resister(!!!) and as, day to day, it builds up so gradually in the first 9 weeks you don't really notice it ever so gradually creating more and more insulin resistance in your body. But THEN, when it suddenly DROPS a lot (as the placenta begins taking over) the big drop in this insulin resistance means that whatever insulin is floating around in your system will suddenly be a WHOLE LOT MORE EFFECTIVE than it was a week (or whatever) earlier when there was so much more progesterone 'resisting' it in your body... hence the occurrence at this time in a much quicker and more significant blood sugar drop than ever before!

Basically there are a whole lot of different periods of resistence and drops in resistence throughout the pregnancy, and I'm sure it must help to know in advance before it comes up to that gestational week, so that you are not taken by surprise again. :-)

Anyway I highly recommend the website DiabeticMommy.com for lots and lots of fantasitci advice from diabetic pregnant women who are going through the same thing as you and have either type 1, type 2 or gestational diabetes.

Hope that helps!

from (another) Katrina.

October 26, 2007 6:59 PM  
Blogger donor mom to be said...

P.S. This is really funny - I decided to quickly check up on the DiabeticMommy website chat forum and guess what the first message I read was... all about the sudden blood sugar drops in that part of the first trimester! LOL! Here is a link to the message thread for you! :-)

http://forums.delphiforums.com/diabeticmommy/messages/?msg=33678.1

October 26, 2007 7:12 PM  
Blogger HereWeGoAJen said...

I have low blood sugar from hypoglycemia. (I'm not pregnant.) But I usually notice that my blood sugar is low when I get really mean or emotional. This is often my only warning sign, as I tend not to get dizzy or have any of the "usual" warning signs. I can control it when I notice it is happening. (It's when I don't realize that low blood sugar is to blame that people around me have to watch out!)

I just thought I would mention my unusual symptom in casse it is happening to you too. Of course, you have hormones to deal with too, but no one told me that crankiness could be a result of low blood sugar and I had to figure it out on my own.

October 29, 2007 8:45 AM  
Blogger Pupper said...

Hello! First time posting, long time reader. Love those pictures in the poodle skirt!

Hope this pregnancy is going well. That was a pretty worrisome post last time.

Regards,

November 03, 2007 11:22 AM  
Blogger Celeste said...

Hi, another first-time reader here! I also just wanted to voice a little support and hope that everything has evened out.

I'm looking forward to reading some of your archives, and learning more about your present, as I'm just beginning to pursue solo mommy-hood myself.

Warmly, Celeste

November 24, 2007 2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home