Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I began my TTC journey in January 2005. It finally worked with the 5th IUI and along came Eliana! I started trying for a second (T42) a little over a year later, and was thrilled to get pregnant on the second try this time. Jacob soon joined our family! Not sure if I am done at two, but come along for my journey in motherhood. If you stop by, please leave me a short note! I like to know when I have visitors. :)

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Quick update

A little update while she sleeps. Ellie went from 6lbs2oz at birth to 5.9 at her pediatrician appointment so they were concerned about her weight loss. (it is normal to lose, but the percentage of loss was higher than normal). We were also have latch problems (and continue to have sometimes) and she would not wake up very often to feed. So, the ped had me waking her up every 2 hours to first nurse her and then follow up with formula. I was very very sad as I did not want to formula feed, but obviously I want her to be healthy. She also had some labs done and she was a bit jaundiced, but not enough for intervention, just for a repeat lab.

We have seen lactation twice in the hospital and twice out of the hospital and continue to have problems. I am quite upset about this as I don't know what is best anymore. I mean, I know that it is best to breastfeed, but how can I tell when she gets enough? Pretty much anytime we give her a bottle of formula, she drinks 1-1.5 ounces, twice she drank all 2 ounces...that says to me that she isn't getting enough from me.

My parents left this morning at 6:30am. It was sad to see them go. I have been fighting the baby blues for a couple days, but the tears came pouring out when they left...it hasn't helped that Eliana does not let me sleep at night and was so fussy this morning after my parents left...they wouldn't believe me if I told them how fussy she was. She is finally asleep now after feeding every hour for bout 3 hours and heading into Safeway to buy the paper because I thought her birth announcement would be there, but it must be next week since all the births in there were from the end of February. I wanted to stay at the store forever as she was finally sleeping...I know, I know, sleep when the baby sleeps, but anytime I lay her down to do just that, she wakes up...

I think this post sounds pretty depressing, but we are fine and she is still the cutest little baby I have ever seen...her mom just needs some sleep I think. :)

8 Comments:

Blogger tammy said...

my heart goes out to you. {{hugs}}

you've still got a rush of hormones running through you and are now truely on your own so that has to be tough especially with things being difficult with her feedings. (you can recite this back to me in 6 1/2 months).

i've not been through it yet so i can't offer any words of wisdom but i am thinking of you and hoping you can find a few minutes to sleep and find some peace as you go through these first few weeks.

March 12, 2006 2:03 PM  
Blogger Jann said...

Katrina,

Believe me I know how hard the first few weeks are (as I am still going through them). As Keith constantly says to me when I start getting overwhelmed, "It won't last forever."

I know it may not seem like much of a consolation when its 3 am and you haven't slept (been there), but it does help to think that it can only get better.

As someone else suggested, if you do have some friends who can come by to help, accept it. I have been so stubborn about accepting help, and I should kick my own ass for it. I have Keith to help after work of course, but I have turned down a couple of friends as I didn't want to appear "weak". I wanted to prove I could do it on my own. It doesn't prove much except wear down your sanity!

((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))

March 12, 2006 5:45 PM  
Blogger Chastity said...

I guess it's hard to prepare yourself for how overwhelming it will be. All I can say is you'll get through it somehow, and try to enjoy the little girl as much as possible. She sure is a cutie!

March 12, 2006 6:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My Prayers are with you dearest katrina!

My sister suffered from Post partum depression and never asked for help. My mom and her MIL had to intervene.
Please don't be afraid to tell your doctor if the baby blues get worse and don't be afraid to let the wonderful people in your life give you some much needed rest.

I know you have heard alot of this but I pray you and miss Eliana will continue on the road to health and REST!
Love,
Me

March 13, 2006 5:27 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Hang in there...it does get better! Those first few weeks are SO difficult (there is nothing else like having a newborn and being sleep deprived). Just take it easy and don't be so hard on yourself. Only do what needs being done and sleep as much and as often as you can. And remember that it gets easier. :-) Thinking of you!

March 13, 2006 4:51 PM  
Blogger Care said...

Hi Katrina. Those first few sleep deprived weeks (months) are hard, especially when you are worried about feedings as well. I have no advice on the nursing, but I hope that you are able to find something that helps. I'm glad that her jaundice didn't require any treatment. The best advice I got when my trio were tiny was to sleep when they sleep - who cares about the dishes or dusting, just sleep. Easier said than done though. {{{Hugs}}}

March 14, 2006 6:58 AM  
Blogger changapeluda said...

two weird words for you: Football Hold...with your baby under your arm, her feet to your back, holding her head right up against your breast, offer her your nipple by brushing it against her lips, when she opens her mouth gently jam her on so that she takes most of it into her mouth. I had nighmarish problems with my first son. How horrible do bleeding nipples sound...I cringe even now. But I went to see the ladies at La Leche League and they taught me how to feed him like this and he learned to latch on the right way. Don't worry about having to give your baby a little bit of formula...she probably won't even remember. I can tell your a really good mommy....I probably don't have to tell you not to give up on the breastfeeding....Did you know that there's an amino acid in breastmilk that they (whoever "they" are) also only found in dolphin's milk. Also if your baby is exposed to a cold or other germ just the baby's saliva on your nipple will prompt your body to start creating antibodies. Isn't that cool???? Good luck and God Bless....

March 14, 2006 1:56 PM  
Blogger Elowyn said...

Aww, honey. Hugs.

Re: the breastfeeding. Any advice I'd give is obviously professional, not personal experience. Others have great ideas with the football hold, oatmeal, fenugreek, etc. 1.5-2 oz of formula really isn't all that much.

I think you're making more milk than you give yourself credit for - and I don't know if you're pumping, but the amount you can pump is usually far, far less than the amount that you can produce via nursing.

My advice would be lots and lots of clear liquids (no caffeine), no drying decongestants or antihistamines, nurse as often as she seems interested (it takes good frequent nursing to build supply) and get as much rest as you can. Will she sleep on you so you can both sleep at the same time? That might be worth a try.

How do you know if you're making enough/she's getting enough? If she's making 6 or more wet diapers a day (and I think you're using sposies - it's hard to tell when they're wet sometimes - try feeling for the wet-absorbent-material texture, rather than actual wetness inside the dipe), her urine should not be dark in color, and she should be making several poos a day still at this point. (This will taper off in lots of bf babies to one poo every few days - don't worry if that happens.)

Other than that, once you're done with jaundice (which should be anytime now) just nurse nurse nurse. If she seems hungry after one breast, switch to the other, etc. The less formula you can give (and replace with a nursing session on the other breast) the more stimulation your body will receive, and the more milk you'll ultimately make. Supplementing is occasionally useful, but not over the long haul - your breasts are perfectly capable of picking up the slack, they just need a bit more encouragement! :)

Lots of hugs. You're doing a great job - keep up the good work! Listen to your lactation consultants (and most especially your own instincts), check out kellymom.com if you need help/inspiration, and keep on truckin'. It takes a bit to build that nursing relationship, but it's worth its weight in gold!

March 14, 2006 2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home